Trump touts hiring of Charter that was in operation for two years

© Reuters. Charter Communications CEO Rutledge and Texas Governor Gregg speak at the White House in Washington.

By Steve Holland and David Shepardson

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – US President Donald Trump on Friday touted Charter Communications (NASDAQ 🙂 Inc’s decision to invest $ 25 billion in the United States and a plan the company announced before it was chosen to hire. 20,000 workers for four years.

At an event at the White House with the CEO of America’s second-largest cable company, Thomas Rutledge, and Texas Governor Greg Abbott, Trump praised Charter for planning to close its call centers in the abroad and transfer them to the United States.

Much of the announcement was not new. Charter said last May that it planned to add 20,000 jobs as part of its merger with Time Warner Cable and the acquisition of Bright House Networks. As early as June 2015, Rutledge said Charter would need an additional 20,000 employees after those deals.

On several occasions, Trump has promoted job postings at the White House that had been previously planned or announced.

The company said more than a year ago in February 2016 that it planned to close Time Warner Cable’s foreign call centers and move the jobs to the United States.

On Friday, Trump said: “We are adopting a new economic model, the American model. We are going to massively eliminate the regulations that eliminate the employment, which has already started, big leagues, reduce the burdens of the government and reduce the taxes that they are crushing.” . American companies and American workers.

“You are going to see thousands and thousands and thousands of jobs, companies and everything that returns to our country.”

Charter, which has 24 million residential and commercial customers in 41 states, said Friday that it had committed to Trump to hire those workers within four years. It plans to invest $ 25 billion in broadband infrastructure and technology over the next four years.

In May 2016, Rutledge said in a recorded interview that there would be some overlap in managerial positions (after the TWC merger), but said the company would hire about 20,000 people over four years.

Rutledge said investment in broadband was being made “in the right regulatory climate and the right fiscal climate … We are committed to spending that is based on the kind of regulatory consistency and efficiency that we expect as a country.”

Charter agreed in May 2016 to make a significant investment in broadband under an agreement with the Federal Communications Commission that was part of obtaining approval to acquire the cable networks. At that time, Charter agreed to extend high-speed Internet access to an additional two million customers within five years, with one million served by a broadband competitor.

Federal Communications Commission Chairman Ajit Pai said in a statement Friday that the commission was “working to establish traffic rules that would encourage companies to build and upgrade broadband networks across the country.” He attributed in part to the FCC’s “investment friendly policies” for Charter’s commitments.

The agency is considering a request from the American Cable Association to remove the requirement that Charter extend service to areas already served by businesses because it could harm smaller competitors.

Charter also touted its plans to open a new bilingual call center in McAllen, Texas and said it expects to employ 600 employees there by the end of 2018. Plans to open a call center in Texas were announced last October.

In December, Trump announced that telecommunications group Sprint Corp and US satellite company OneWeb would bring 8,000 jobs to the United States, and the companies said the positions were part of a previously disclosed commitment by SoftBank Group Corp of Japan.

In January, Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure said of his decision to move 5,000 call center jobs to the United States that the company “had plans to do this for a while.”