© Reuters. FILE PHOTO: French Open
PARIS (Reuters) – Up to 1,000 fans will be admitted to each of Roland Garros’ three main showcourts, while smaller venues will be able to admit 35% of their capacity during the first 10 days of the French Open due to restrictions on COVID-19. Sports Minister Jean-Michel Blanquer said Sunday. The cap will be raised to 65% but will be capped at 5,000 for matches on the 15,000-seat Philippe Chatrier and 10,000-seat Suzanne Lenglen courts starting June 9, when the quarterfinals begin, Blanquer told the channel. television station France 3. “The indicator is set at 35% at that time (when the tournament starts), with a maximum of 1,000 spectators … per track, of course,” Blanquer said. It marks an improvement over last year’s delayed tournament that took place in September, when a maximum of 1,000 spectators were allowed on the grounds of Roland Garros. This year’s French Open, which was delayed for a week, will begin on May 30. Spectators will be able to return to stadiums in France from May 19, President Emmanuel Macron said on Thursday, provided the health situation does not deteriorate.