Sandgren allowed to board Australian Open flight despite positive test By Reuters

© Reuters. ATP Masters 1000 – Italian Open

MELBOURNE (Reuters) – Tennys Sandgren was able to board a chartered flight from Los Angeles bound for the Australian Open in Melbourne on Wednesday despite recently testing positive for COVID-19, the American tennis player said on social media. Sandgren, a quarter-finalist at Melbourne Park last year and in 2018, said on Twitter that after testing positive in November, he had returned another positive test on Monday and might not be able to board his flight. “Covid positive over Thanksgiving Covid positive on Monday,” he tweeted, later adding that it could fly Thursday. However, he later said he was able to board the flight on Wednesday, which is taking other players and coaching staff to the first Grand Slam of the year, with the help of Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley. “Wait, wait, I think they are trying to get me 15 minutes after the plane was supposed to leave … my bags are not registered yet,” he wrote. “Wow, I’m on the plane.” Craig Tiley is a wizard. “Australian media reported that the Los Angeles flight had returned to the gate after take off. It was unclear if Sandgren was on the plane when it took off. He later tweeted that he was ‘totally healthy’.” My two tests were performed. less than 8 weeks apart. I was sick in November, totally healthy now, “he said.” There is not a single documented case where it can be contagious at this time. “Organizers of the Australian Open Tennis Australia said in a statement that” some people who have recovered from COVID-19 and who are not infectious may continue to spread the virus for several months. “Public health experts from the Vic (state of Victoria) government assess each case based on additional detailed medical records to ensure they are not infectious before checking in for charter flights.” Players and their teams are tested every day after arriving in Australia, a stricter process than for anyone else in hotel quarantine. “Some 1,200 players and coaching staff will begin arriving Thursday for the Feb. 8-21 tournament, which was delayed three weeks. The state of Victoria, once the country’s COVID-19 hotspot, has said. which will enforce the strictest protocols seen in any tennis tournament for those arriving on chartered flights 15. Players and staff must isolate themselves for two weeks before they can participate in warm-up events at Melbourne Park.

Disclaimer: Fusion Media wishes to remind you that the data contained on this website is not necessarily accurate or in real time. All CFDs (stocks, indices, futures) and Forex prices are not provided by exchanges but by market makers, so the prices may not be accurate and may differ from the actual market price, which means that prices are indicative and not appropriate for commercial purposes. Therefore, Fusion Media assumes no responsibility for any business losses you may incur as a result of the use of this data. Fusion Media or anyone involved with Fusion Media will not accept any liability for loss or damage as a result of reliance on information, including data, quotes, charts, and buy / sell signals contained on this website. Be fully informed about the risks and costs associated with trading the financial markets, it is one of the riskiest forms of investment possible.