Last debate not ‘real game changer’ as Biden to speak on coronavirus, Trump stumps in Florida


President Donald Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden are hitting the final stretch of the race for the White House, after analysts said Thursday night’s debate wasn’t a game changer with 11 days remaining in the contest.

Biden has an afternoon speech in Wilmington, Del., on fighting COVID-19 and reviving the U.S. economy, while Trump plans two appearances in the battleground state of Florida. The president will speak at the Villages retirement community and in Pensacola.

Height Capital Markets analysts said the final debate didn’t do much to move the needle in either man’s favor. “Although we continue to expect the race to tighten in the final weeks, time is running out for President Trump as we did not see a real game changer last night,” they wrote. “The election ends in just 11 days and more than 49 million people have already voted. That is more than 1/3 of the ~136 million total votes cast in 2016.”

Now read:Trump, Biden square off over coronavirus, stock market and economy in final debate.

Data point

Polling avg. in top swing states

Biden +4.0 as of Friday vs. Biden +4.5 a week ago

National polling avg.

Biden +7.9 as of Friday vs. Biden +8.9 a week ago

Betting markets

Biden 64.4%, Trump 36.3% as of Friday vs. Biden 63.9%, Trump 36.4% a week ago

S&P 500

-0.2% Friday, +4.5% in 1 month

CBOE Volatility Index

+0.9% Thursday, +7.5% in 1 month

Sources: RealClearPolitics, FactSet

Biden’s standing in betting markets tracked by RealClearPolitics dropped slightly on Friday, but he’s still above where he was a week ago, and has a 64% chance vs. Trump’s 36%.

During Thursday’s debate, Trump attacked Biden over his plans for the energy industry. Biden said he would “transition from the oil industry,” adding he would stop giving it federal subsidies and replace the industry with renewable energy “over time.”

Also see:Trump accuses Biden of wanting to ‘destroy the oil industry,’ as Democrat says it should be replaced ‘over time.’

“We’re not getting rid of fossil fuels for a long time,” Biden later told reporters at the airport in Nashville, Tenn., after Trump asked voters in energy-rich states like Pennsylvania and Texas to remember the ex-vice president’s words.

With White House economist Larry Kudlow saying fiscal-stimulus talks aren’t moving much, U.S. stocks traded lower on Friday. The Dow Jones Industrial Average
DJIA,
-0.28%
  lost 0.5% while the S&P 500
SPX,
+0.07%
  was down 0.2% in afternoon trading.

“It would be very difficult, even if you had a deal in the next few days, Kudlow said in an interview with Bloomberg Television on Friday. “The ball’s not moving much right now,” he said.

Now see:White House’s Kudlow says few signs of progress on fiscal stimulus talks.



Source link