© Reuters. A person wearing a protective mask walks past an Australian Open logo at Melbourne Park in Melbourne.
MELBOURNE (Reuters) – About 500 Australian Open players and staff who stayed at a quarantine hotel where a worker contracted COVID-19 have tested negative for the coronavirus, with 12 awaiting results, the tournament director said on Friday. , Craig Tiley. Tiley told Australian radio that 495 people among the Australian Open cohort of 507 who stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Melbourne had been cleared. “So far everyone is negative,” Tiley told 3AW. “We have some earrings. The earrings are just the result of being tested last night.” So far that’s positive and hopefully in the next few hours we will get the positive result that they are all negative. “The Australian Open group in The Grand Hyatt, which included 160 players, was instructed to take the test and isolate themselves until they got a result after health officials revealed Wednesday that a hotel worker had contracted the virus. The warm-up matches in Melbourne Park were canceled on Thursday but will resume on Friday. Players who tested negative are free to participate in the six warm-up events at the Grand Slam venue to allow them to practice the match after 14 days in quarantine. Victoria State, from which Melbourne is the capital, reported no new cases of community transmission on Friday. Authorities have approved 30,000 fans per day, around 5 0% of capacity, at the Australian Open, which begins Monday. “Spectators will continue to be allowed on the site and we are still selling tickets,” Tiley said. “The site will be an extremely safe place.”